The last item is very important. Whilst electronic components and heatsink bases are manufactured to be very flat and smooth, at a microscopic level their surfaces are rough. This results in very few points of contact and many tiny air gaps between the component and its heat sink. Air has a low thermal conductivity, resulting in poor conduction of heat from the device to the heatsink. To combat this, a (TIM) can be applied to the base of the heatsink to fill these gaps and provide more conduction paths between device and heatsink.
Features of Heat sink
- 1 — TO-220 aluminum heat sink with threaded mounting screw hole
- 1 — Electrical insulator sheet
- 1 — Plastic insulating washer
- 1 — Mounting screw
- • 11 x 11 x 5.3 mm• Anodized Aluminum material
• Thermal resistance 31ºC/W (large-black) at 200 LFM